* Public education so incineration not in NORD’s 1995 or 2012 Waste Reduction Plans.
* Panels or speakers most months, educating on a variety of sustainable environment topics.
* Establishing a fall leaf exchange event which is now a City program.
* Developing & coordinating an organic community garden program; also trained 12 unemployed youth about sustainable gardening, composting and environmental practices.
* Supporting formation of a local Environmental Advisory Committee.
* $20,000 generated to create pesticide alternatives, solar/alternative energy, and smart growth displays.
* Ran a “Changing Lanes” Project, with Federal funding and many local donations to provide transportation alternatives – Carpool.ca was sponsored until taken over by the City in 2009.
* Until June/06 piloted a ”One Tonne Challenge” Project to encourage behaviour change on global warming, to save money, improve physical well being, and make one’s life climate friendly!
* Lead supporter for “Wheels For Change”, a Nelson–Victoria cycling tour (July, 2007) that asked for action on climate change from municipal, provincial and federal officials.
* Active contributions to Xerindipity Gardens, Greater Vernon Cycling Advisory Cttee, Vernon’s Official Community Plan and NORD’s Regional Growth Strategy.
* Action on “350.org” yearly.
* Initiating annual Seed Swaps, educational EnviroFairs & local Transition Town Planning.
* Sponsored Bee S.A.F.E. movement started in Lumby / Cherryville area.
Future projects wish-list:
Quality of life improvements such as
- pesticide bylaws
- green taxes initiatives
- building bylaws
- reducing waste water using eco-sanitation principles
- building local food economies based on an agriculture that is safe for us and bees
- public transport review
- alternate energies
- environmental mapping
- Swan Lake wetlands park
- waste reduction job creation through education
- one-stop recycling
- and apartment recycling.